How to Prevent Shoulder Pain at Work and Knowing When It’s Time for Surgery
Our shoulders give us the ability to complete many tasks with our arms. Those tasks, however, are what tend to give us shoulder pain and may even lead to injury. Whether it’s lifting heavy boxes, putting items away on a top shelf, or performing a repetitive motion task such as typing and using a computer mouse, there’s a reason to be cautious and mindful of how your shoulders feel.
If you’ve been living with chronic shoulder pain, it’s time to do something about it. There are ways you can implement changes at work, which will help alleviate the pain but if the pain does not subside, you should seek professional care right away.
Tips For Reducing Or Preventing Pain While At Work
Many times the pain in our shoulders is a result of negative behavior that we didn’t realize we were making. This could be a failure to stretch our arms at least once every hour, slouching in our chairs, or putting pressure on our bodies that don’t necessarily feel right but helps us to complete our jobs like carrying a heavy backpack around. If this all sounds too familiar, it’s time to time incorporate methods of alleviating pain while at work. Here are a couple of suggestions:
- Change positions as much as possible. Although it may be difficult to change positions based on what it is you do for work, attempt to move around as much as you can. Your posture can easily lead to discomfort if you’re remaining in the same position for too long.
- Move around. If you work at a desk, attempt to stand up at the end or beginning of every hour. While sitting, try stretching out your arms and then lifting them and move them in a circular motion.
- Incorporate a healthy outside of work regimen. Sometimes it’s impossible to change what our work habits look like. One of the best things we can do for ourselves is incorporate an exercise regimen that keeps us healthy and moving. Consider using resistance bands or weights to stretch and increase the strength in your shoulders.
Knowing When You May Need Surgery
When the pain lasts longer than a couple of weeks after making adjustments, it’s time to seek professional care. Though a total shoulder replacement may seem scary on the surface, there’s nothing to fear! A couple of questions to consider include:
- Does your shoulder pain prohibit you from comfortably completing tasks?
- Do you wake up in the middle of the night with pain in your shoulders?
- Do you have a history of suffering from fractures or a rotator cuff tear?
Though these are only examples of what could possibly be triggering the pain in your shoulders, it’s best to have a thorough examination with a specialist. At Sun City Orthopaedic & Hand Surgery Specialists, we are devoted to providing the El Paso community with reliable joint replacement surgeries. We will determine if total shoulder replacement surgery can restore your shoulders’ performance and provide you with the restoration you need to lead a more comfortable life.
Connect With Us Today!
Don’t continue suffering the daily symptoms of shoulder pain. Waiting to seek help can easily lead to worse complications. Schedule a consultation today.